Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Once a upon a time in 1976, I went to England on a Rotary Youth Exchange



When I was 18 years old and a freshman in junior college, I left home and study abroad for a year in England on a Rotary Youth Exchange.  The experience was my first real opportunity to study outside of the United States.  My father was a member of the local Rotary Club and he was insistent that all of his children spend time outside of the U.S., I went to England in 1976 and my brother Drew also spent a summer in Northern England.  My dad's advice as it turned out was extraordinarily 100% correct.  After several weeks in Blackpool/St. Anne in Lancashire - I was realizing a dream. Sometimes we don't always see the the important quest for education and how our parents want us to live better than they had lived. My Mom & Dad were very proud of my trip to England and I was proud of myself to venture outside of my comfort level and learn to live with a new family and study abroad.

No comments: